History

Cumloden was converted from a thatched cottage in 1820 by Sir William Stewart, son of the 7th Earl of Galloway. Sir William was a career soldier and a colleague of both Admiral Lord Nelson and The Duke of Wellington. On his death it was bought by Randolph, then Lord Garlies and subsequently the 9th Earl and used by the family as a summer and autumn hunting lodge.
Galloway House, shown above, was built in 1740 and was home to the Earls of Galloway until the death of the 11th Earl in 1920. Up the hill from Cumloden lies the extensive remains of Garlies Castle. A listed ancient monument it was built in the latter half of the 15th century by descendants of Alexander, Hereditary High Steward of Scotland.
​Cumloden became home to the 11th Earl in 1908 and then the 12th Earl up until 1979 when it passed to a cousin, Andrew Stewart, heir to the title and the current owner. The Earl of Galloway is a Title of the Peerage of Scotland and was created in 1623 for Alexander Stewart. It is considered to be the senior branch of the Stewart family.